Skip to main content

All Lives Matter Pt. 2

Scenario:
I'm at the park, walking my dog, and I see a group of disabled people on an outing. They are all smiling. They are happy. They smile at me, and smile at my dog. And one woman steps forward and asks "May I pet your dog?". She's so very polite and I tell her yes he's friendly but he might jump but don't be frightened he loves to give kisses. And she reaches down, gently, and he embraces her. And he kisses her as if she's the most perfect wonderful person he has ever met. And this is basically how he greets everyone. And she tells me he is handsome, and she tells me she likes my hair, and I tell her I love her bright colored sneakers. And she says thank you and I tell her to have a wonderful day. And we part ways. I know I was smiling. My dog was smiling. She was clearly smiling the whole time.

I wish everyone had more interactions like this.
#1- Smiles for days. SMILES. FOR. DAYS. I said to my husband this weekend "Do I have anything in my teeth? You know how I like to smile".
#2- What great manners- how polite was she?! She ASKED to pet my dog. So many children don't ask to pet the dog. They rush up to him, scare him, pet him aggressively, don't listen when you tell them to be gentle. Most children frighten my dog because most children are not attentive to his feelings.
#3- What an interaction. What a non-judgmental interaction between two creatures. My dog doesn't care what color she is, what gender, what mental ability, what race, what creed. He knows one thing- kindness. He knows a kind person when he sees one. He knows good intentions. He knows a good heart. That is what he bases his reaction on. A smiling face and open arms warrants a wagging tail and kisses. BEAUTIFUL.
#4- Compliments. In a world of lots of wrongs, find something right. In a world full of negative, find something positive. She liked my hair, I liked her shoes. She practically danced when I told her.
When someone says something nice, we often have the urge to answer negatively-- "oh you've lost weight!"... "not enough" or "still working on it". "oh your hair looks great" "really? It's been weeks but thanks" "Oh you look nice in that color" "yes well it's not my signature color but it works"
If we complimented people more instead of finding things wrong with them, or we pointed out something we DO like instead of all the things we don't... people might be a little nicer to each other.

"I don't like your attitude or tone of voice, but boy do you have pretty eyes/hair/nice shirt"- might diffuse a situation.

And yes, some people may be so far from this notion of nice gestures that they may just turn even more negative ("ew are you flirting with me??") but just ignore. You can say what you want and people are going to react how THEY want to. That's life. Doesn't mean you should filter yourself because someone may misconstrue your intentions. Maybe just re-iterate your intentions for those ignorant a$$holes and naysayers you come across.

Let's show people that they matter. Let's lift each other up. Let's smile when the whole world wants to frown. We are the change... BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

The new normal: Fat acceptance

A new study published in the 'International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education' reveals that the average size of an American woman is now between a 16 to 18, which is an increase from 10-year-old data that indicated most women in the U.S. were a size 14. "I am hoping this will help nudge the fashion industry to seriously consider expanding their sizes," said study author Deborah Christel, Ph.D. LOL...  But you don't make the connection between larger sizes of humans overall and obesity? You don't hope that the results of the 'study' you did encourage people to start eating better and exercising more and you know, stop being obese? You just hope the multi billion dollar fashion industry changes its ways... er, um, sizes. Because... feelings? I mean, anyone who says they can't find clothing in their size is forgetting to tell you the whole story, leaving out key factors like: can't find clothing in their price range, can

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all