Skip to main content

I guess I'm pretty good at keeping secrets

Have you ever had a secret that you were just dying to tell?? Usually it's a happy one that kills you from inside... something like a surprise for a loved one, or something you know someone will be proud of you for, exciting news in your life, maybe something that will totally change your and your loved ones lives.

I've had many secrets over the years. Things being "hush hush" was just a way of life for me.

I wasn't supposed to tell people I used to live with my aunt.
I wasn't supposed to tell people that I had an 'other mom'.
I wasn't supposed to tell people my mom hit me or pulled my hair.
I wasn't supposed to tell people why I was grounded again, why I couldn't come out of my room or do things with my friends.
I wasn't supposed to tell people how I felt about my other mom.
I wasn't supposed to tell people about the court proceedings involving my other mom.
I wasn't supposed to reach out to the family members of my other mom after she passsd away.
I wasn't supposed to tell people that my mother often kicked me out, that I slept at whoever-would-take-me-in's house.
I wasn't supposed to tell people my 'family business' at all, ever. "Don't hang your dirty laundry out to dry"- I think that's the saying that was referenced.
I wasn't supposed to tell people I got pregnant, or that I had an abortion. In fact, I was told to clean up and act normal before my sisters could notice anything and ask me about it.
I wasn't supposed to tell people that the police forcefully removed me from my childhood home at the request of one of my parents, the same one who instructed me that I "wasn't supposed to" all of the above...

But all of that was a long time ago... 10, 20, 25 years back. When you are only 30, though, that's all you know. All sorts of things that can mess with a person's mind that are probably not supposed to be locked inside. All of those negative things were pretty easy to lock away. They were bad, sometimes painful, and I thought people would think badly of me- or I was made to believe someone might think badly of me.

Today I have a good secret, a great secret. Better than "We got engaged!", better than "we bought a house!", better than "my husband and I have motorcycles (but shhhh he doesn't want his parents to know)". A better secret than when I planned and hosted a surprise 30th birthday party for my husband at a restaurant with 20 of his closest friends and family. A better secret than planning and hosting a surprise bachelorette party. And I have to keep it for a good amount of time (can't tell you how long, that might give it away!).

This secret, I think about it almost every moment of every day. It affects my life. I am happy about it, ecstatic, overjoyed. And it's bundled up inside. And I'm almost afraid to share it with certain people. I don't know how anyone will react, but for some reason I am anticipating the worst (of course, thank you hereditary anxiety!) . I guess that negative anticipation makes it either to keep the secret.

We shall see how long this lasts....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

The new normal: Fat acceptance

A new study published in the 'International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education' reveals that the average size of an American woman is now between a 16 to 18, which is an increase from 10-year-old data that indicated most women in the U.S. were a size 14. "I am hoping this will help nudge the fashion industry to seriously consider expanding their sizes," said study author Deborah Christel, Ph.D. LOL...  But you don't make the connection between larger sizes of humans overall and obesity? You don't hope that the results of the 'study' you did encourage people to start eating better and exercising more and you know, stop being obese? You just hope the multi billion dollar fashion industry changes its ways... er, um, sizes. Because... feelings? I mean, anyone who says they can't find clothing in their size is forgetting to tell you the whole story, leaving out key factors like: can't find clothing in their price range, can

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all