Skip to main content

Today is Ash Wednesday. It might be the first time I don't get ashes...

Today, the 1st of March 2017 is officially ASH WEDNESDAY. The good Catholic that I am, I found this out on Monday.

I have not been to church in a long while, possibly the last time was my Grandmother's funeral over a year ago.

I would hate to think I have become a "CHEAP" Catholic, who only goes when they are obligated: CHristmas, Easter, Ash Wednesday, and Palm Sunday. The reality is, that I do not feel that church is enlightening, it does not evoke strong emotions in me, and it does not make me want to be a good person any more than my everyday life does. I feel that some organized religion has not kept up with the times. It has not promoted equality between people. It preaches forgiveness and focuses on the "love one another" while also stating "you will be judged" and "feel wrath". I cannot understand the religion of peace, love, and forgiveness can still be so exclusive. And thus, I cannot be included. I feel as if I am an outcast, even if I have [possibly] done nothing wrong. Or maybe I just haven't judged myself on some bad things... not sure.

This Ash Wednesday, I have no plans on ducking my head under the eaves of a church. I am well aware that "from dust you can and to dust you shall return" unless I "seek the face of the Lord". The Lord wants to be sought not only in the houses we built to publicly worship him, but also in the privacy of our homes, in the moment we are triumphant, in the moment we are in awe, in the moment we feel darkness could consume us, in the moment we are embarrassed or feel regret or are consumed by sorrow.... The Lord, however you should call him, wants you to seek him in your own way, anytime, anyday. That is how I feel.

On a side note.... Ash Wednesday starts Lent. Lent is 40 days of "suffering" through abstinence, fasting, and almsgiving. Lent is about choosing to do works of good without asking for anything in return. Lent is about denying your self of your selfish wants in order to appreciate them (and your wonderful life, in general) more.

And then I read an article an article in regards to Catholics and Lent and I laughed....

“It has been noted, however, that Friday of the second week of Lent this year corresponds with St. Patrick’s Day (March 17), which has traditionally been an occasion for joy-filled celebrations in this archdiocese.”

If Catholics choose to eat corned beef — or any other meat — on St. Patrick’s Day, they must also “undertake a work of charity, an exercise of piety, or an act of comparable penance on some other occasion during the Second Week of Lent,”.

Noted that Lent is “a penitential season that calls us to spiritual exercises, penitential acts, charitable works, fasting and almsgiving,” and quoted Pope Francis’ message for Lent this year: “Lent is the favorable season for renewing our encounter with Christ, living in is word, in the sacraments, and in our neighbor.”

Catholics ages 18-59 who do not have a medical condition are obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday, March 1, and Good Friday, April 14, by eating no more than one full meal and two lighter meals, which combined are less than a full meal. Catholics ages 14 and older are also to abstain from meat on all Fridays in Lent.

However, Catholics not bound by meat abstinence and fasts should still find ways to enter in the penitential liturgical season.

“Pastors and parents are to see to it that their children, even when not bound by the law of fast and abstinence, are educated in an authentic sense of penance and are encouraged to do acts of penance suitable to their age,” she wrote. “All members of the Christian faithful are encouraged to do acts of penance and charity during the Lenten season beyond what is prescribed by the law.”

So let me get this straight... Women still can't be leaders of churches (priests) or dioceses (bishops) or the religion as a whole (I.E. the Pope) ... but people are kinda excused from abstaining from meat on St. Patrick's day when it falls on a Friday of Lent... AAAAaaaand this is why I am not going out of my way to go to church today. Sorry (not sorry). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded