Skip to main content

The new normal: Fat acceptance

A new study published in the 'International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education' reveals that the average size of an American woman is now between a 16 to 18, which is an increase from 10-year-old data that indicated most women in the U.S. were a size 14.
"I am hoping this will help nudge the fashion industry to seriously consider expanding their sizes," said study author Deborah Christel, Ph.D.

LOL... 

But you don't make the connection between larger sizes of humans overall and obesity? You don't hope that the results of the 'study' you did encourage people to start eating better and exercising more and you know, stop being obese? You just hope the multi billion dollar fashion industry changes its ways... er, um, sizes. Because... feelings? I mean, anyone who says they can't find clothing in their size is forgetting to tell you the whole story, leaving out key factors like: can't find clothing in their price range, can't find something that is visually appealing or represents their style, or can't find something they feel 'comfortable' wearing. By comfort I mean texture, style, material, fit... every aspect of an article of clothing. It's easier to say "they have nothing in my size" than to admit you are very picky. It's easier to blame the industry than yourself. It's easier to complain and make someone else make changes than it is to remember that when you point one finger, 3 are pointing back at you.

In reality, there are already more of the larger sizes available for purchase than smaller size clothing. Store employees readily admit that they get 2 each of XS and S and that's it. Medium through triple XL they order higher multiples.This means they already know the average sized woman is, in general, a bigger size. This means that smaller women have a harder time finding clothes, not larger women. This means that being petite in the waist is discriminated against, not the other way around.

I mean I get it, it's quite simple: Highly affordable food has more junk in it and people are generally less active. 
It's the new "norm"   ...  But it doesn't HAVE TO BE, and for health purposes, it SHOULDN'T be

In my eyes, the whole article was less about a scientific study and truly just "fat acceptance" propaganda... But decide that for yourself.
http://twentytwowords.com/it-turns-out-the-average-american-woman-is-not-a-size-14-anymore/?utm_source=VS&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=influencer&utm_campaign=justinvj

Comments

  1. Mmmm - a good read and very very true - being ssbbw myself ( Although i could not eat any better - i have a very healthy and small diet - My FAT is 100% due to illness and not overeating, and i can't exercise because my body shuts down !! ) I dont seem to have issues finding clothes for myself - except possibly the price range - BUT - have issues for my daughter who is a normal ' .. normal ' size - People if possible - SHOULD BE ACTIVE and watch what they eat - im NOT saying diet - but eat healthy - IT IS NOT DIFFICULT !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment- officially my first comment ever! I had to look up ssbbw... Only urban dictionary had a definition. I had no idea this was a "thing". Learning something new every day! Eating healthy is key to longevity... less preservatives, more all natural stuff. Keep the crap out of your mouth, lol. Thanks for taking a moment to read and respond!

      Delete
  2. More and more we see science becoming editorial and virtue signaling in the conclusions section of many socially related papers. It's more about Ph.Ds. pontificating and telling others how to think than prove evidence and reasons why certain results were found statistically significant. My girlfriend studied psychology and decided not to go into a Ph.D. program because of the dark side of science in literature, grant writing and the politics that run every aspect of it. It used to be that news articles were the only ones to distort scientific research results, but now we have the opinions of those studying the phenomenon to provide their bias. These are truly interesting times we live in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all