Skip to main content

Ultimate Adulting- Today I, a "millennial", bought my first house!!

It's official!! We are home owners! 
This journey took about 1 year, almost 100 houses seen, multiple offers, 3 contracts, almost 2 months "homeless", and finally we have a deed and keys! 🍾🥂 We are big kids now!! 

It blows my mind that I am now "rooted" somewhere, as clearly buying and selling houses is a huge hassle. But even more mind-blowing than that is what the attorney said to me while reviewing the paperwork: "You have student loan debt and you were able to buy a house? That's amazing! That's wonderful! Good for you guys!"

Yes, I still have about $50,000 in student loan debt just to my name. I personally make less than $50,000 a year. I personally live practically paycheck to paycheck and work a second job part time to offset some of the cost of my expensive hobby, horseback riding. I also 100% own my own truck. I also have a 401k with a couple thousand in it. I also now own a house. According to the bank I only own a percentage of the house, the percentage we put down. But still- EQUITY. Speaking of equity, did I mention I own pot stocks? As in Marijuana? Seriously- get some now before it blows up.

But back to what the lawyer said, 8 years ago - recently graduated and had just met my significant other- my credit was in the shitter. Massive credit card debt, only paying off the minimum, high APR. I had a second-hand vehicle and a binge drinking problem and lived (mostly) with my parents. When relations with my parents were the literal shit that hit the fan, my SO and I decided to move in together. And once we signed for the apartment, he gave me a crash course in personal finance. 

Debt and credit. Credit card debt is no bueno and can RUIN you. Pay more than the minimum, always. Pay it down in huge chunks. Get to the point where you can pay it off every month- That's how you create GOOD credit. 

Car. Have a reliable car. Do the maintenance. Run that ish into the ground before thinking about getting a "new" one. NEVER lease a car. My second-hand truck probably could have lasted longer... even though it was missing the front bumper, the dashboard looked like a Christmas tree, and the ignition could be manipulated to be used as the key. It was jankety, to say the least. I searched for MONTHS for a replacement. It had to be the perfect combo: color, model, cab size, stick shift, price point. I ended up giving up the stick shift part because they were few and far in between. But when I found that low mileage truck looking sexy that just came back from a lease... Oh my it was a match made in heaven. I talked my mom into turning over my UTMA (trust savings account) finally, paid off my credit card to lock in a better rate on the loan.We did a little negotiating, traded my second-hand truck in for minimal value, and I drove off with a shiny "new to me" 16k mile vehicle with a monthly payment of $350. In 5 years (less 6 months) it was mine all mine. I now only pay gas and maintenance, and my truck will give me years of hard work. 

Shopping. You do not need everything you see that you want. If you are online shopping, put it in you "cart" and leave the site before purchasing. If you actually remember later that you wanted it, maybe you should go to the store and try it on. If you are in the store, first check the clearance rack for something similar that gives you the feel-goods, if it's not a stellar deal then walk away and if you remember about it later, maybe go back and get it. For me, the whole "remember about ti later" is the key t this all. We live in the "instant gratification age", so clicking BUY and PAY NOW or marching straight to the check-out will give us that high. But if you walk away, you will more than likely forget about it- which is actually realizing you don't NEED it. Although you should "TREAT YO SELF", that statement should be taken lightly. A TREAT is defined as: noun - an event or item that is out of the ordinary and gives great pleasure. Focus on OUT OF THE ORDINARY and GIVES GREAT PLEASURE. If you ALWAYS give yourself the instant gratification (I want it, I got it), the pleasure will not be so great. I find that by not just giving in and treating myself every time I want something, I have greater pleasure when I save towards something a while and finally get it. Like, the horse. Like, the house. Even food. Not buying crap at the grocery store means we can treat ourselves to the expensive and exceptionally delicious local ice cream place. OR not eating out a few nights a week means we can splurge when we go out with friends to dinner and get steaks instead of being frugal. There is BALANCE to be found. 

Going out. We have found that cutting down going out nights to once a weekend saves more money for us to go on trips.Staying in and watching Netflix or TV on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday allows us to go somewhere nice over the weekend. It saves us both calories and dollars! We personally prefer to go out Saturday night and do fun things on Sundays. Before we moved in together, I had a schedule of where I was going on what night. Money was not a THOUGHT. MNF, Tequila/Taco Tuesday, Wing Wednesday, Thirsty Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday Football. EVERY. WEEK. I didn't miss a beat. But once we moved in together and there were BILLS t be paid, that ish changed. We needed reserves. I needed to get my credit card bill down (where do you think I was putting all this food and booze? besides in my mouth...). We needed furniture, housewares, food. Living on your own is a reality check of the best kind. 

Vacations. You see people posting on Facebook extravagant (everything)vacations, and you have the urge to replicate. Vacations cost a lot- flights cost a lot, 3+ star hotels cost a lot, food and booze and adventures can cost a lot. Notice that I said "CAN". There is always a way to be a baller on a budget. NEVER FORGET THAT. Go on vacation in your destination's 'off-season' and you will save big bucks. Plan your flight 3 months in advance and you will save big bucks. get the all inclusive place if you can to save money, or find a place with a free breakfast. Go to a local grocery store and get sandwich stuff so you can pack a lunch every day. Buy packs of beer or bottles of wine instead of stopping at every local watering hole just to say you went there. You know where this advice came in most handy? Europe. Italy especially. We stayed in an Air BnB for cheaper than any hotel and it was 100x a better experience. I made us breakfast, lunches, and a dinner in the little kitchen it had. We had more money for experiences while we were there. We never buy souvenirs unless they are useful. Italian silk scarf to cover my shoulders at the Vatican, check. 100% leather jacket in Poland when it dropped to the 40s at night, check. That jacket cost $35 and is teal- I still love it. Sandals in Slovakia when my flats turned out to be not so good for walking a few miles, check. Bottles of wine and limoncello in Italy, check. Don't buy crap just to say you brought something home from there. Go horseback riding on the beach, rent the scooter and drive the Amalfi coast, take the boat ride to Capri or Isla de Mujeres, go see the Colosseum, the Vatican, Chitzen Itza, Wawel Castle. Take pictures. take those memories back with you. 

Appearance "extras". I used to get my nails done when I lived with my parents. Those long acrylics in vibrant and sparkly shades. Those were the first thing to go. They were expensive and useless. I don't even do regular nail polish because it doesn't last long enough. If I want to spruce up my nails- usually for a special occasion- I go for the regular gel manicure once in a blue moon. I did splurge and spend about $100 on mani-pedi for my wedding though.... but that's an exceptional event. I started dying my hair less often, often waiting 8-10 weeks instead of 6 for a touch-up. People often liked my severely faded colors as much as they liked the fresh color. Even my hair cuts. I often go to great clips in between my coloring to touch up my short hair. $15 vs. $40 is a win any day! Make-up? Only bught it when it was on sale. I stay away from stores like MAC and Sephora. Money pits! I only wear fake lashes for special events, they usually fall off and get lost anyway. I know plenty of people who put falsies on almost daily. I stopped wearing make-up to work. Why? I'm not trying to impress anyone there, no pictures being taken, still look great. My skin is much clearer and healthier now that I rarely wear make-up. Even though people give me Bath and Body Works or Victoria's Secret sprays lotions and body washes, I usually regift those items and buy the $1.99 Suave stuff for myself. I've used the same blow dryer and straightener I had in college. I only bought a new brush because my old one broke. My eyebrows rival Cara Delvinge... I know a girl who lives at home with her mom and works 2 part-time jobs and spent $200 on eyebrow tattooing to "treat herself". Come on now! I only got a tattoo touched up because I got a discount, even though I have 3 designs waiting to be inked. I have never had a bikini or Brazilian wax. I stopped tanning after my wedding. Almost anything appearance related is EXTRA and most of it is FRIVOLOUS. 

8 years after we have moved in together, we have paid for countless vacations, our wedding, and a 15% downpayment on our first home. We are 30 and 31. There is a way to do things, to get things done. If you WANT TO vacation, have adventures, own your own cars, own a house... it can be done. Ask me how. Never say 'Never'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded