Skip to main content

People and their pets: Things I have heard/seen as a vet tech (Part 1)

"Is this really necessary?"
"How much is this going to cost?"
"Before I make an appointment, can you give me a quote of what it might cost?"
"Do you really think my pet needs to see the doctor?" "Do you really think they need this test/medication/procedure?"
"Is this going to hurt them?" "You're hurting them!!!"
"He's just an old dog."
"She's just a cat- I've had cats all my life and I've never had any medical issues with them".
"I can't afford all of that".

I left a comfy, well paying, albeit boring, office job to follow my true passion- animal care.
I'd love to say I'd been taking care of animals all my life, but my mother was the kind of person who would make a statement as quoted above. She wasn't an animal lover. She's not really a people lover either, but she likes infants and children. Not in a creepy way!! In the 'she-works-in-a-daycare' and 'she-raises-my-sister's-two-kids' kind of way.

I assumed that everyone who has a pet has some degree of compassion, and probably feels like the pet is more a family member than an item they own. You know what happens when you assume...

I would say that pet owners are roughly split 50/50 nowadays... I'd like to say 75/25 (where 75% view them as an irreplaceable family member) but that's just not true, for many reasons. Finances seem to be the biggest reason for a person to 'neglect'- I say that lightly, there are mild forms of neglect and severe forms- their pet.
Mild:
Not giving regular baths/grooming.
Not feeding high quality foods.
Not training/socializing your animal well.
Not being aware of diseases in your area, diseases your pet's breed is pre-disposed to, not being aware of common maladies that can easily affect the animal you 'own'.
Severe:
Not vaccinating (at least core vaccines) and exposing your animal to other animals- wild or domestic.
Not taking care of your animals feet(nails) or teeth.
Ignoring signs of distress, discomfort, or abnormal behaviors.
Not taking your animal for immediate medical evaluation after it has bite or scratch wounds from another animal.
BOTH the mild and severe lists can go on and on...and they can even have things that could go on both lists. But I'm not here to make anyone feel bad..... OH WAIT, YES I AM.  DISCLAIMER- I AM HERE TO POINT OUT LACK OF COMPASSION AND MAKE PEOPLE FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Something about animals has always been comforting and brought joy to me. Maybe as a child I felt no one understood me. Maybe the fuzzy, friendliness of animals drew me in. Maybe their silent companionship and compassion that is unwavering, non-judgmental, and truly dedicated spoke to me. All I know is, as a child I wished I was an animal. Nowadays, I'm not sure I truly wish that anymore... I mean horses are strong and beautiful and athletic and seem so free, until you see one withered away and standing in a kill pen waiting for either a savior or their demise. Dogs are loyal, cuddly, and adventurous, until you see one with an ailment that may cost a pretty penny and an owner opting to end it all instead of agreeing to treatment.

Here is one example:
Man brings in 8 year old chocolate lab. History of dog is that dog was adopted around 2 years old. Owner gets rabies shot and not much else from the vet, however dog was presented for lethargy, limping, whimpering, shaking, lack of appetite - all 'for a few days'. Dog appears depressed, laying down, shaking, whimpering.
Vet recommends blood-work that is 2 fold: Tick borne diseases panel/heartworm test and 'major profile' to see where the organ functions are at. Minor and major profiles are often use to get a baseline in a healthy animal to compare to later on, should an issue like this arise- however the animal has no healthy blood-work on file due to the owner rarely ever bringing it in.
After thorough exam of the animal, owner agrees to blood-work. Immediate results show the dog is positive for Lymes disease- and it's a STRONG positive, meaning active infection attacking the immune system. The medication for Lyme's disease- in both people and dogs- is Doxycycline, which happens to be a very expensive drug. Luckily for people, we have insurance and you can probably get your entire treatment for less than $50. For a large dog with no pet health insurance, the medicine alone runs about $200.
So all in all, this client paid approx $575 for the diagnosis and treatment of their animal on this day.
The major blood profile comes back and shows significantly reduced kidney functions (approx 70-60%) which can be directly linked to the diagnosis of Lyme's disease and the fact that the disease went unchecked and untreated for a long period of time. Vet recommends changing the dog's diet to a prescription diet specially formulated for dogs with kidney issues, and possibly starting kidney supporting meds or supplements. Vet consults with client about findings and recommendations, and asks how pet is doing on the Doxycycline. Owner states pet is much improved.
Owner presents pet two days later at the vet hospital, reason for visit is euthanasia. Vet and techs assume dog has taken a turn for the worse. (Never, ever assume) Pet presents, in clinical description, BRIGHT, ALERT, AND REACTIVE. Pet walked into the clinic actively, mouth hanging open in a silly grin, tail wagging, and jumping on it's owner. In the exam room, the tech takes a brief history of what has brought the owner and pet in today... and here is the part that broke my heart that day.
The owner thought it all over. Says he rescued this dog and gave it a good life after it had a hard start. Having decreased kidney function, to the owner, sounds like a hard way to live out the rest of it's life. Not to mention expensive, since the doctor recommended a prescription diet, yearly bloodwork, and possible kidney supporting supplements and medications later in life. His exact words during this conversation "I spent over $500 to find out what's wrong with her, how much more is it going to cost me to put her down? $1000 in one month is a lot to spend on a dog".
The owner balked at the price of a euthanasia and cremation, joking that maybe he'd just take her home and shoot her and bury her in the backyard.

I still wonder how I kept my composure and kept the contempt off my face.

He asked if there was any way we could do it for cheaper, maybe not sedate the dog before euthanizing or something like that. I had to have the doctor explain that we couldn't hold a dog as active as his to humanely euthanize it without a sedative, and that morally he could not look into it's face and feel it's pounding pulse and put it down. The sedative helps the procedure to go smoother and be an overall more peaceful event.

Procedure. Event. Euthanasia. Lethal Injection.

Even inmates who committed heinous crimes such as rapes and murders get sedated before they get the lethal cocktail. It's considered HUMANE.
So the owner agrees to the charges, signs the consent form, and then asks if he can leave before we sedate the dog. He said he had his time to come to terms with his decision and he doesn't want to stay with his dog until it's over. He left his dog staring at his backside as the door closed in it's face.
He left the doctor and I to sedate the dog- to monitor it as it went from standing and wagging and grinning, to wobbling and drooping and finally laying down with an exhausted huff.
He left the doctor and I in a very emotional state. It is our job to care for and help animals. It is our job to diagnose, prescribe treatment, and restore animals to a happy and healthful condition. It is also our job to relieve their suffering when the time comes, to assist them in passing on peacefully and humanely. This is a veterinarian's oath:
Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health and welfare, the prevention and relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.
I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics.
I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.

It is the hardest thing to do to deal with an uncompassionate client. It is made even harder when that client leaves us with dirty work that we morally disagree with.
What could we do? Doctors have been sued for agreeing to put an animal down and then bringing it home or finding it another home. We could ask him to sign the dog over to us legally, but would we be forced to put it into a crowded shelter or rescue in hopes it can find a better home? Would anyone want an middle aged dog with a prescription diet and the pretext that it may need special care in it's old age?
We did what we were paid to do, with heavy hearts. I cried as a held this dog as it "went down" from the sedative. I did not leave it's side. It didn't know me very well- the first time I had met it was the fateful sick visit where we diagnosed the issues that would lead to this moment. I held it in my arms as it struggled to fight the sedative and stand back up, as it became confused, and it calmed from the drugs. I felt the breathing slow, I felt the head become heavy. I patted it's head as I found the vein and held the leg for the doctor. I kept my hand on it as we administered the lethal pink cocktail. Tears stream downed my face uncontrollably but I didn't sob. Tears fell onto its fur as the chest stopped rising and the eyes glazed over. When life leaves such an alive individual, it is clearly noticeable. The doctor and I wrapped the dog in a towel and prepared the body for storage since the cremation company only comes twice a week. We tried our hardest to be gentle and respectful the whole time- from the moment the procedure began until we stored the body. It was the very least we could do.
There seemed to be no words at first, just sadness. Soon anger crept in- we vowed to never see another animal for this person again. We hoped they never got another animal in the first place. We slung a few ripe words - a$$hole, Dou$cheb@g, terrible redneck mofo- around to try to make ourselves feel better. Ultimately though, we ended the day without any words, just sadness.

Sometimes, this is our job. It's not always easy. Not everyone is as loving as we are, as compassionate and caring, not everyone has the animal's well being in the front most of their mind. That's OUR job, that's what we DO. And we take the good days with the bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all