Skip to main content

to she who says "GETTING MARRIED IS NOT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT"

And the author then follows that headline with "Ladies, before you angrily dismiss me, hear me out...You don’t have to have a brain, drive or special skill set to get married. You just have to have a willing partner."

1st of all, I just want to note that an equal amount of MEN commented on this article as women did. 

Here's my thoughts....

"You just have to have a willing partner"... sounds like what they say about sex now-a-days... 

Getting married IS an accomplishment, it means you accomplished putting aside all of your selfishness and insecurities to be really real with someone - to care about them as much as (or more than) you care about yourself. 

It means you've learned to work together on all things, you've learned to share secrets with them, you've learned there are no more secrets, you've learned to make JOINT everything- life goals, decisions, plans, accounts. 

You have bettered yourself and another by being together for a common goal- happiness. If that's not an accomplishment, then I don't ever want to be associated with people who agree with this woman.
 
She sounds alone and bitter about it. 
It's OK to be happy for other people. 

My married life isn't paradise everyday, and the whole getting married thing was a shitshow... but I work hard on my relationship and our family and life together every minute.

I feel accomplished every day we stay together, through the good times and bad, through thick and thin, in sickness and in health, all that mumbo jumbo we agreed to. That's all real. See how many of your "besties" or bosses or Facebook friends or degrees will actively stay by your side and mentally, physically, emotionally, and financially support you through cancer, through loss of job, through loss of home, through petty arguments, through depression, through alcoholism, through rehab. Marriage is bigger than all that. When I am on my deathbed, my shared life and love and moments and the essence and memories with this person is what I will cherish, not my degrees or career.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea...

The new normal: Fat acceptance

A new study published in the 'International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology, and Education' reveals that the average size of an American woman is now between a 16 to 18, which is an increase from 10-year-old data that indicated most women in the U.S. were a size 14. "I am hoping this will help nudge the fashion industry to seriously consider expanding their sizes," said study author Deborah Christel, Ph.D. LOL...  But you don't make the connection between larger sizes of humans overall and obesity? You don't hope that the results of the 'study' you did encourage people to start eating better and exercising more and you know, stop being obese? You just hope the multi billion dollar fashion industry changes its ways... er, um, sizes. Because... feelings? I mean, anyone who says they can't find clothing in their size is forgetting to tell you the whole story, leaving out key factors like: can't find clothing in their price range, can...

Identifying and fighting monotony in life

I took my horses for a gallop out in the field yesterday because clearly they are frustrated with their training (trotting in the dusty ring for 40 minutes to build muscle tone). They got a kick out of it!  :)  literally- kicking up their heels and ears perked. Some times monotony is a mind killer in horses. Sometimes they just need to "horse" more and "human" less. But ya know what? I AM FRUSTRATED. I am sick of doing the same thing every day. Of waking up and knowing exactly what I will do at exactly what time-  and finding no surprises in my everyday life. I want to "human" more. I feel like a machine. I am going  through  motions: 7 am alarm.  Husband calls between 7:10 and 7:20 to make sure I'm up for the day.  Get up.  Poop.    (Threw that in there for the laugh effect.) Eat.  Walk dog.  Prep lunch & dinner.  Get dressed (including doing hair).  Pack riding bag. Commute.  Sit at desk...