Skip to main content

Gen Z: "we're not as bad as people say we are"

No, my dear, you are. You really are. Did you look up from your phone while making that statement, or did you just post it to social media? 

The Washinton Post (horrible journalism and reporting, not a legit news outlet, often considered "fake news") made a video where they interviewed some Gen Z-ers, to prove they are not as bad as everyone thinks. The only problem with this is that it didn't accomplish that goal. My mouth dropped open and I rolled my eyes a lot. And apparently, I am a "millennial" so I am either a 'step behind' Gen Z or right on track with them. Hmmmm...

So again I say: No, you are as bad as people say you are- BUT at the young age of the kids in the video, it's not their fault. It's their parent's fault. The people saying they are a horrible, terrible generation probably didn't raise a Gen Z-er though. The parents did, and they created a generation of children who are plugged into tech instead of reality. I mean, that's why virtual reality is a thing, right? Because real reality sucks? 

But let's look at some of the things they said...
"My parents have a Blackberry" "They still use flip phones" "They'd use a phone connected to the wall"
Actually, we had a wall phone and a cordless phone. And when you get to the age hat you need to pay for cable and the internet at your house, you may end up buying a landline too because they come in package deals called "Triple Play"! And those "wall phones" sure come in handy when your cell phone has no service but that land line is LIT. 

"I had to go a week without data and it was super hard".
Millenials go through that too, but it's because we can't afford the extra data to keep up with our "needs" and we don't want to limit/budget ourselves because we have an overwhelming urge to satisfy the unrealistic instant gratification ideals. But truly, I hope that "a week without data" is the hardest thing you go through in your life. You know, hopefully you never experience shoes that don't fit, not enough food on the table, clothes that are out of style or the wrong size, having to use old fashioned notebooks instead of tablets, not being able to afford to be on the team or go on the trip........ all of the other things a young life might encounter if Mom and Dad can't afford it.

"It's kind of sad [that I have a better phone than my parents]" "They're missing out on like, the whole world".
Wow, you feel sad for your parents? I didn't feel sad for my parents until I was about 25 years old and realized they didn't have the money to retire on because they spent it all on raising me. But sure, be sad that your parents use a Blackberry or flip phone. BTW- phone preference is a personal choice. My 25-year-old sister choices to use a Blackberry over and over, my 55-year-old mother has a more advanced phone than her. I choose the newest Android. My husband chooses iPhone5 because he hates the 6. Also- they are not missing the whole world- they probably saw what they wanted to see of the world IN PERSON. And met a lot of interesting people IN PERSON. And they probably do a lot more or have done more than you kids think they do, IN PERSON. I watched the father's day episode of the "try Guys" when they were recreating pics of their fathers when they were in their 20s and then asking them questions about the pics. They had no idea what interesting lives their parents led. Neither do you, kids. Why don't you have a convo with your parents before you judge them and "feel bad for them". SMH.

"They had TVs, which were in like black and white. But that's Ok, sometimes black and white can be entertaining too."
Your parents had black and white TVS?? HOW OLD ARE THEY?? Color came out 40s/50s so I'm pretty sure your parents had color tv too. Black and white was more your grandparent's thing unless your parents grew up without the newest technology. If that is the case, you should know how lucky you are that your parents did well for themselves to provide for you. (SNOBS).

Teens spend on average 9 hours "consuming media" EVERYDAY.
Let's see, there are 24 hours in a day, 8 should be spent sleeping so that leaves 16. 6-7 hours are spent in school, so that means that the average teen spends the entire rest of their day "consuming media" via some form of 'technology'. I see little room for extracurricular activities like sports or clubs. Plays? Choir? Scouts? 4-H? A part time job?

"I got my first phone in 5th grade" "I like to keep up with my "peoples" "I just love apps!"
Childish. Please tell me one good reason for having a phone in 5th grade. How old are you- 10? I got my first phone when I got my license because I needed to be able to tell my parents where I was taking their car or my car that was on their insurance plan. Not exactly so I could stay in touch with friends I saw every day in person at school... oh and that phone- I paid for it myself and it was "pay as you go"... do they even have TracPhones anymore??? 

"First and second period I use a ChromeBook, then 3rd period I switch to a computer" "One day at school the power went out and we all just sat there"
When the power went out at our school, we kept on keeping on. Because, books. Physical, hard bound, in your hand knowledge. No wifi needed, no outlet needed, no time wasted. In k-12 school, I learned to WRITE. I learned to pay the utmost attention, write in good (legible) form, so I could read back my notes- which often translated lessons into my own "layman's terms".  I have wonderful handwriting, it's even "pretty". I can write cursive and print. I hear kids these days don't know what cursive is, It's a lost art. In college, I bought my first laptop. It has since crashed, but I have not bought a new one. I'm not saying I'm cut off from the technological world, if I need a computer I can use my husbands desktop computer that he built and is always upgrading or his work computer, or even my phone to surf around. Although no one ever handed me a computer for my lower or higher education, my youngest sister's college did this so I know this is now a thing. I'm actually more curious about how this all works. Like, you spend all day staring at a screen from when you are like 3 years old until the end of your life... do more people in that generation need glasses/contacts? Do they suffer from more headaches and migraines? Do they have a higher chance of cancer because of wifi and radiation? Will they become morbidly obese because they are sedentary, staring into a heavily pixelated screen? Will sports be non-existent in 10 years? Will we live in a world of cyber EVERYTHING and thus be numb to anything real?

Would love to know other's thoughts, especially parents of Gen Z-ers and Gen Z-ers themselves. Although it will be hard as a 30 year old woman living 75% in the real world and only 25(or less)% in the virtual/media world to take a 5th grader seriously. I'm open to trying to do so ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded