Skip to main content

Why I abandoned my "Equine Science and Management" career

I have a Bachelor of Science in Large Animal (Equine)Science. I studied cows, pigs, llamas, goats, sheep, horses...Even bison at one point! Everything large and in charge in the domestic animal world. I believe my diploma says "Equine Science and Management, specialization in Equine Breeding".

What did I want to do??

I was once told the back side of the track was not the place for a "girl", but I wanted that life so bad. I wanted to be the go-to, do-it-all thoroughbred girl: managing the foaling, weaning them at about 6 months, taking the yearlings at the sale, taking the two-year-olds to the track for breezing.

I have foaled out many a mare, I have handled many a new foal, I have collected stallions, I have had walked the colic-er all night, I have held a broken leg in my hand, I have pinched ripped skin to determine is staples or sutures or packing is appropriate.

I have jogged a "mile back" on the track on a crisp summer morning.

I have taught yearlings to stand, pick up their feet, take a bit.

I have taught 2-year-olds to take a saddle. I have taught them to take a rider. I have taught them to get on a trailer.

I have a degree in equine science and management and where am I?

I work 8-5 in an office so that I can go to the barn 5-9. So that I can enjoy my horse time. So that no one is mentally, physically, and emotionally abusing and draining me while I work my hardest doing what I love. I make more money, have more benefits, enjoy more one on one with MY horse (I lease)- things I did not have when I worked for the horse world.

When people tell me I should train horses, I should have my own barn, people should pay me to ride, I should work with horses as a living... I tell them that I tried that already.

I moved to Florida right after I graduated college to work at a breeding farm. I worked crazy hours for minimal pay and no benefits. I burnt out quickly, and couldn't afford my student loans. I left that to work 3 jobs: an office, pet sitting and waitressing. I was breaking even and could start riding again in my (limited) spare time. I yearned for horses.

I quit that office for a barn job. They underappreciated and undervalued me. I was a 'workerbee' and not a 'horseman' to them. My degree meant nothing to them, my back meant everything. Certain times of the year meant working 14 or 21 days straight through. "Thank you's" were few and far in between. Then the checks started bouncing.

I left at the end of peak season to pursue a 'manager' opportunity that promised an extra $200 a week above what I had been making. That was a sham.
Managing this farm meant one person overseeing 35 horses and 50 acres while the owner sat all day in the office 'suervising'.
Managing meant mucking stalls until a lesson student arrived, only to be berated in front of the customers by the owner for how much wasn't done yet.
Managing meant getting there at 7am after a 40-minute commute and not leaving until 11pm, while the owner suggested you go home, eat something, take a 'nap' and be back at 5am the next day.
Managing meant being told you can't take your day off because there is so much you didn't get done in the last 6 days that you didn't deserve a day off.
Managing meant having 3 horses on your list to exercise, and never having a minute to get on them.
Managing meant sleeping in the office at the barn to save money on gas and try to fit in more working hours.
Managing meant shitting in a bucket when pipes burst and apparently that was your fault, too.
Managing meant a "demotion scale" for things like being a minute late, talking back, checking your cell phone, not being in appropriate work attire, not bringing in a new customer a week, etc that resulted in docking the already meager paycheck.
Managing meant losing 30lbs because you felt responsible for the animals over your own well-being.

After that- I left the equine management world, I thought for good. I found the cushy office job, 8-5 with a 401k and health benefits. Things like dual monitors and a new scanner excited me. Wearing heels got old fast though. Putting makeup on and finding crisp clean 'business formal' attire that didn't have dog hair all over it was annoying. I missed the smell of hay, a hungry nicker, a dusty pat on the neck. But the security of the desk job as undeniable, and the extra time to spend with my husband, dog, and hobbies was invaluable. I knew then and I know it now- I wll never be able to stay away from horses very long. I know that I am good at what I do with them, that that is my passion. I have learned to make smart financial an dcareer decisions so that one day, I may be able to have that dream. Have MY OWN farm. Be my own BOSS.

I have managed another barn part time since then, right up until the wonderful owner passed away. I currently manage a barn on Saturdays while the owner is at horse shows and teaching lessons. I don't have to, I don't do it for the money. I do it for the learning opportunities, the horse time, and the humble, sweat inducing labor that is so rewarding. But I will not try to make a career out of horsemanship and management again until I have the capital to own my own place and do it my way. Being under someone who doesn't appreciate or value you is CRUSHING.

I hate my cushy 8-5 office job and it's monotony and being away from horses, but I value my sanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all