Skip to main content

10/11 is national "Come Out Day"!! :)

So I am not gay or anything. I mean, I dabbled in Bi in college- but who didn't??- and I think there are some gorgeous women out there that I would be flattered if they said they found me attractive or were interested in me... but the bottom line is I am married to a wonderful guy and what we do 'in the bedroom' is between him and I.

That being said...................

I grew up with "Uncle _____ and Aunt ____", and sometimes both those spots were filled by males family members. We also had a female couple in our close family friends. It never occurred to me as a very young child that this was, shall I say "weird" or is not "normal" a better way to put it?

I also grew up in a Roman Catholic household- Church on Sundays and CCD on Mondays.

All during this stage in my life, the phrases "that's so gay" and "you're so gay" were being thrown around a lot. "Fag", "faggot", even "homo"- without knowing what they were really referring to, I knew those were some of the baddest in my bad word arsenal. I really had no idea that a dike was not a type of dam though.

But when my mother told me that Uncle X had been married to a woman and had 3 children before he started living with aunt/uncle Y, she was telling me that he was now in love with uncle Y as he had been his ex-wife. I think I was more confused that he had been divorced and had kids (much older than me) than by his choice in significant other.

When I was in college, I went to work for a handsome and kind equestrian. We also had two of these kinds of guys on our riding team. I was just happy to be surrounded by handsome, kind, funny guys who liked horses. The day I found out my instructor/employer was gay, I was surprised. He did not strike me as overly gay until after that. He was strong, he drove a truck, he barked orders and kept a ship shape barn while also wooing all the female clientele- they loved him. I loved him. He is still the BEST TRAINER I have ever had. He taught me not to resemble a girl scout trying to take a shit in the woods. His husband is a wonderful, strong, caring person too. And those two guys on my riding team? They both have handsome significant others. I had no idea what their preference was- I would even argue that they both dated women in college.

I also worked at a restaurant with a manager who one day had to tell me "um Jazz hunny, I'm gay" when I got a little too drunk after work. Still a favorite person of mine :)

Bottom line is- it was none of my business who they choose to love, or sleep with. What was my business is how they treated me, and how my interactions with them were in general. All positive. All wonderful. I have been blessed to know some great people. And yeah, some of them are "gay".

So- to those of you out there struggling with accepting yourselves. Today is your day. Today is your day to break free. And begin the life that will bring you the most happiness. And some people may not understand, and some may judge, and some may disagree. But there are some of us out there who choose who to surround ourselves with based on how you treat US. How you act towards us. How kind and funny and nice you are. Bring your boyfriend, your girlfriend, wear your dress or heels or that snazzy shaved cut... bring your happiness and come hang out with people like me :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded