Skip to main content

"abusive" or parenting.... why is this even a debate?

Apparently, my mom and dad were abusive to me when I was a kid.

They made me do chores, behave in public, and go to school. They spanked my butt when I did wrong and there was no other way to get through to me. They gave me a curfew and made me keep to it. They made me get a job and work for the things that I wanted. They insisted that I do my best at school, at my job, and to take pride in my work. I grew up with morals, a good work ethic and respect for the law and my elders. I'm blessed to have been so abused and mistreated!

But when I look around today- I see a lot of "spoiling" and not a lot of parenting.

Seems there are a lot of rude little brats out there and not so many well-behaved children.

My mother worked at a Montessori school, and God Bless Maria Montessori because I think someone warped her vision. At today's Montessori school, children are not supposed to use their imagination- everything must be real life-based. You cannot tell a child "no", "don't", "stop" ... or stop them from doing things- instead, you're supposed to talk them through it and ask them to consider the choice they are making and the consequences (what consequences??).

Now, mind you, we are talking about 3-5-year-olds here. So a 3-year-old who is still learning to put together sentences is supposed to pause and consider his/her choice...... 3-year-olds don't pause. You are lucky if you can get them to sit still a little while. They may consider things... like what will make you mad, or make you laugh, or make them laugh. "NO" and "DON'T" are not the end of the world- people are going to tell them "NO" and "DON'T" their whole lives. Children need to learn how to accept these phrases and deal with them. "No, you can't have a cookie" leads to "No, you can't kiss me" or "No, you can't have the promotion". If they never learned what NO means, how can they accept NO moving forward?

When little Joey gets everything he asks for or gets to keep everything he takes without asking, are you setting up your child for success in the real world? How do you teach a child that hitting and biting hurts without demonstrating? I know that SOUNDS mean, but I'm not saying anyone should bite a chunk out of a toddlers arm... dogs and horses and other animals can nip without breaking skin to get a point across.

My nephew can be sweet, and he can also hit you, pinch you, spit in your face-- and his primary caregivers seem to think it's funny, unless it's done to them. But even when it's done to them, they go with a light-hearted approach that leaves the young one laughing in their faces.

I think we need to start PARENTING our youth again. Put the fear of God back in them, put respect back in them, and let them know that they need to earn other's respect- not expect ANYTHING from anybody.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded