Skip to main content

Colin Kaepernick's right, my right....

After talking about this whole thing in depth with my husband... I know what my point in this all is.

I wrote a Facebook post and someone seemed disappointed in how I was viewing this. I realize that hiding behind a keyboard, you lose your emotion and you lose a sense of what you are trying to say. SOOOOO here goes.

It's not about his right to stand or sit.
It's not about his opinion or his feelings.
For me, it's about the way he went about it. He didn't put the time into thinking about his approach to this topic. He had the power, the media, and the presence to make a point and make a difference. And he took action- he sat. And the cameras zoomed in and they saw him and people started wondering, people started asking. They asked if he was injured, sick, what could be triggering him to sit like this. And then he got the opportunity to explain. I guess for me, if you have to explain why you did what you did- you missed the big opportunity to make a point. so he explained. and OK it's your right it's your opinion and what not, but did you think this out? Did you realize that you weren't getting your point across? that all the media and attention isn't focused on your intention- no one is talking about black lives matter in regards to his actions. It's not what they are focusing on. They are calling him disrespectful and uneducated and pulling his endorsements and considering not hiring him...
so now what?
Now he has lost his podium, he has lost his audience, he has lost his voice. And he will surely lose his job, and his funding, that could have been used to further his stance on this important subject he feels so intimately about. He did not think about the repercussions and he did not think about what he stood to lose in regards to what he is supporting. Black lives matter is back burner after his actions- no one is talking about it.
Here's what some prominent footballers had to say that reflects my sentiments:
@JerryRice
All lives matter. So much going on in this world today.Can we all just get along! Colin, I respect your stance but don't disrespect the Flag.

Former Cleveland Browns running back and Hall of Famer, Jim Brown, agrees with Kaepernick's sentiment, though perhaps not the method. "I listened to him and he makes all the sense in the world," Brown said. "He's within his rights and he's telling the truth as he sees it. I am with him 100 percent. ... Now if you ask me 'Would I do that?' No I won't, because I see it a little differently. I'm an American citizen, I pay my taxes, I want my equal rights but this is MY country, and consequently I don't want to open up for ISIS or anybody that will take away what we've already gained."
Richard Sherman from the Seahawks: Sherman has also previously has spoken out about social issues, explained his views on what Kaepernick did. "You can't ever stand against the flag," Sherman said. "A lot of people have sacrificed for it, but there is also a deeper meaning to what he did. He's talking about the oppression of African-Americans in this country, and that has been going on for a long time. I THINK A LOT OF FOCUS HAS SHIFTED AWAY FROM HIS MESSAGE. ... I think there's also things in this nation that people need to remember and take heed of and also acknowledge."


I agree with you Jasmine. I don't believe that disrespecting the country that gives you the right to your free speech is the proper way to express your discontent with the issues within our country right now. That is like telling our men and women who have died for our country that you could care less about all of the great opportunities that they secured for you because of a political discontent that will be addressed and remedied in time. Stand up and speak your peace, but remember that this great nation, if not perfect, has afforded all of these opportunities to you. It is sad to me that so many people take the origin of our freedom of speech for granted. He could have done more good for the people that he is trying to liberate from oppression using his position as an athlete and role model then he will do with this inappropriate stand that people will forget about once it clears from the headlines. A couple weeks in the limelight or a lifetime of working toward change? He should have thought about the big picture.
The key words for me that I pulled out of there : "stand up","it's not perfect (we're not perfect)", "could have done more good", "working for change".... We are looking for and hoping for and wanting A CALL TO ACTION. Talk is cheap. Sitting down is easy. PLEASE- DO SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. And this action he took will not make a difference in regards to his beloved civil rights movement 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everyone's thinking it, I'm asking: Is today's left wing liberalism a mental illness?

This is a serious topic of discussion on 'the right'. Not even the far right... the center right. The " 68 % conservatives", the "Centrists", the "Young Outsiders", and the "Somewhat Liberals".  I don't know what the spectrum is for "political or world views" but I'd have to say I hang to the right and the conservative. Which sounds so weird, because CONSERVATIVE is not really a word I'd  ever  use to describe myself. But I talked about this in past blog posts... today's topic is, are people on the FAR LEFT suffering from mental illness? My psychologist sister would have you believe that everyone suffers from some form of mental illness in varying degrees. I suffer from anxiety which induces depression. FUN! The anxiety is inherited, the depression is what occurs when you stop learning how to cope with new or prolonged anxiety inducing situations. Anxiety is a product of chemical imbalance, it can be trea

Kevin Hart has said what every normal person feels/believes...

As I sit here in my pajamas, trying to finish eating cold oatmeal and drink cold coffee, with my 3 month old daughter fussing at my side- the little dictator that she is- I say to myself, "Wow, if only 20-year-old me could see me now". What do I mean when I say that? I mean I was pretty much hell on wheels until I was 28. A hot mess for too long. In no way a role model or even proud of myself for .... anything really. I didn't speak eloquently or smartly, I was often not a respectful person towards other, I was probably down right insensitive. And I was kinda a tramp. Not exactly the kind of person you'd want around kids or even to take home to meet Mom and Grandma. But, hey- PEOPLE CHANGE. In the words of Kevin Hart: "   If you don't believe that people change, grow, evolve as they get older, I don't know what to tell you. If you want to hold people in a position where they always have to justify or explain their past, then do you."   Can we all

Zoey Tur V Ben Shapiro... feelings V facts

There is a video of a Trans man (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?) named Zoey Tur (Inside Edition reporter) engaging in a conversation with Ben Shapiro (Breitbart News senior editor-at-large). It seems they were supposed to be having some sort of debate about whether Caitlin Jenner, also trans (a man who charades as a woman of sorts?), deserved the "woman of the year award" for 'bravery'. It erupted when Ben stated that Caitlin is in no way a woman, and neither is Zoey, because- FACTS. Fav line ever:  "Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben refuses to live in Zoey's reality. Ben refuses to accept things that are not based on facts. Ben sees the facts and will not be bullied into saying, doing, or believing anything illogical. At one point, the panel started getting raucous and off topic, so Ben Shapiro asked if the discussion was supposed to be on genetics and asked Zoey, “What are your genetics, sir?” (because, FACTS) Zoey proceeded